Tomasz Jokiel announced the release of Porteus Kiosk 4.0.0 on
May 30, 2016 with bug, Security fix & wizard usability improvements. This has been released after 3 months of development. Major thing on this release, Porteus Kiosk dropped support for 32 bit Chrome browser as per Google announcement also improved First run wizard usability.
Linux kernel has been updated to version 4.4.11, Mozilla Firefox to version 45.1.1 ESR and Google Chrome to version 50.0.2661.102. Packages from the userland are upgraded to portage snapshot tagged on 20160528.
Porteus Kiosk version 4.0.0 has kernel and userland compiled for x86_64 architecture exclusively. Current and future releases system wont support 32bit PCs anymore.
Porteus Kiosk 4.0.0
most notable features introduced in this release
• Added support for setting default microphone in case you have multiple capture devices in the system.
• Its possible to download screensaver slideshow ZIP archive every X minutes. This is useful if you need to update the slideshow often and want to do this quickly without rebooting the kiosk.
• Import certificates function has been extended to support also Citrix Receiver certificates.
• Added ‘launch network wizard’ applet to the first run wizard which allows to cancel waiting on the connection and repeat network setup procedure.
• /media location is displayed in the filepicker left side panel so its easier to find where removable media were mounted.
• Fallback to ‘uvesafb’ driver for boot splash when native framebuffer driver is not available.
• Fixed installation on SD cards which broke after switching to the GRUB bootloader.
• Disabled ‘horizontal overscroll’ in Chrome as this feature may cause privacy concerns.
• Many other bugfixes and improvements